Posts Tagged ‘free software packages’

Computer Disaster Recovery Progress

July 3, 2013

A little over a month ago (in May), my XP Windows based computer
failed. I replaced it with a Professional Windows 7 based machine. Many
of the software packages (Visual Studio.net for example) were not
upward compatible.

The purpose of this blog is to report the recovery process. Of
particular important is to obtain Open Source, free software packages
to replace those that were not upward compatible. In addition,
applications that have both Windows and Linux versions will be
preferentially considered.

WEDNESDAY: 2013/07/03

STATUS: The recommended HTML editor was not available for my version of
Linux.

RESULTS: I found a HTML editor on my Web Site Control system that seem
to be capable of handling the immediate web-site update process.  I
checked it on my Linux machine. I expect that it will be equally
functional on the Windows machine.

NEXT TASK: No further action is needed in obtaining a HTML editor at
this time. I should probably restart my Programmable Software
Development Environment web-site development project in the near future.

Advertisements

Computer Disaster Recovery Progress

July 2, 2013

A little over a month ago (in May), my XP Windows based computer
failed. I replaced it with a Professional Windows 7 based machine. Many
of the software packages (Visual Studio.net for example) were not
upward compatible.

The purpose of this blog is to report the recovery process. Of
particular important is to obtain Open Source, free software packages
to replace those that were not upward compatible. In addition,
applications that have both Windows and Linux versions will be
preferentially considered.

TUESDAY: 2013/07/02

STATUS: In anticipation of publishing the upgraded version of the
Programmable Software Development Environment, it will be necessary to
recover the ability of updating my web-site.

DETAIL: The web-site was maintained by Microsoft Front-Page which will
most likely not be upward compatible. This program is unnecessarily
difficult to use and I have a project for replacing it using the
Programmable Software Development Environment which I had put on hold.

RESULTS: I found all of the web-site files in my backup disks.  I also
have a recommendation of a portable HTML editor.

NEXT TASK: The next task is to examine and if appropriate, download the
recommended HTML editor. I will then be able to make the decision as to
whether I need to take my web-site project off of hold.